2.6.24 vs. 2.6.27/29 (was RE: [Linux-Xtensa] shmat and sigpausefailed using LTP on Linux 2.6.24)

Piet Delaney piet.delaney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 12:37:45 PDT 2009

Shimon Edelhaus wrote:
> Greg told me you guys will port down to 2.6.24. We have no time to mess with new kernels. We have a chip coming tomorrow. Literally tomorrow...
>
> I am going to talk to Edy and Greg. This is completely unacceptable.

  I think someone's misunderstood something. We are moving forward from
2.6.24 to 2.6.27 and 2.6.29 right now.
I was thinking of back porting just well know bug fixes now well tested
in 2.6.24-smp, 2.6.27-smp, and 2.6.28-smp
back to a new 2.6.24-stable as we pass these changes up stream to
kernel.org. The advantage is that would increase 2.6.24 stability
and we could use it as a reference to detect bugs getting into the smp
upgrade. I was thinking of also pulling in bug
fixes from the kernel.org 2.6.24-stable repo. The final kernel would be
called 2.6.24-stable and wouldn't effect 2.6.24
but might be recommended once LTP test show it's noticeable more stable.

  So the 2.6.24 repo won't be changed and if you want to try the newer
2.6.24-stable you would have that option.
I haven't decided to do this yet. Just thought it might be low hanging
fruit will checking into kernel.org. The
bug fixes I thinking of back porting are very localized changes.

    1. Ehternet driver is missing a spinlock and gets a race with
interrupt hander.

    2. Register spill messes up stack during switch. I suspect this is
an important bug fix that you want to assimilate.

I'd likely run LTP and demonstrate greater stability with the new
2.6.24-stable repo. Even
with these obvious bug fixes I don't know if it will be as stable as our
newer kernels.

-piet