2.6.24 vs. 2.6.27/29 (was RE: [Linux-Xtensa] shmat and sigpausefailed using LTP on Linux 2.6.24)

Marc Gauthier marc at tensilica.com
Wed Apr 22 16:38:01 PDT 2009

Hi Simon,

I can't speak for any agreements you have with Tensilica
(hadn't heard of committing to backporting to 2.6.24).

Porting everything down to 2.6.24 would take some time, it's not
something you could get, say, tomorrow.  It also adds some risk,
because the extensive testing in question has been done on later
kernels.  We also don't know offhand exactly which patches you
need to backport to address your concerns.

Is there any reason you need 2.6.24 specifically?  Do you have
driver dependencies or other kernel changes that you made to
that version that would need to be re-applied to a newer kernel?
New files (such as a new platform port) are simply copied to the
new kernel.  For modified files, you have to re-apply the diff
onto (or merge with) the new kernel.  For a platform port, I
would hope you'd have very few such modifications, so that moving
to a new kernel is much quicker than backporting our changes
(which touch just about everything for the Xtensa architecture).

The easiest is to use the xtensa-2.6.27-smp tree (in the 2.6.29
tree, include directories have moved around).
There are two things we know of that need to be addressed.
One is to make sure you configure the kernel for single processor.
The other is that the system call that provides atomic operations
may need to be re-enabled, if your toolchain is based on the last
snapshot rather than from a more recent pull from the buildroot git tree.
We're looking into re-enabling it right now (it's a trivial fix,
just needs testing).

-Marc    (again, I speak for myself, not for Tensilica)