[Linux-Xtensa] Running linux in xtensa simulator

Mahavir Prasad er.mahavir at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 12:12:26 PST 2011

Hello Piet,

I tried running linux using xt-gdb by following wiki instruction. However,
since we don't have license for the turbo mode, I am getting following
error (detailed log is at the end of the mail):
    License checkout failed: License server system does not support this
feature.
    Feature:       XT_ISS_TURBO

So, I tried running linux without turbo mode. I changed "target sim --turbo
--memlimit=128"  to "target sim  --memlimit=128". However, there is no
response for very long (around 5-7 min) after giving the run command in
xt-gdb.

Could you please let me know whether it is possible to run linux in xt-gdb
without turbo mode?

Thanks and Regards,
Mahavir

mahavir at mahavir-desktop:~/Desktop/lahaina/git_checkout/lah_build$ xt-gdb
build-iss1/arch/xtensa/boot/Image.elf
GNU gdb 6.8 Xtensa Tools 9.0.1
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=xtensa-elf"...
(xt-gdb) target sim --turbo --memlimit=128
Connected to the simulator.
(xt-gdb) symbol-file build-iss1/vmlinux
Load new symbol table from
"/home/mahavir/Desktop/lahaina/git_checkout/lah_build/build-iss1/vmlinux"?
(y or n) y
Reading symbols from
/home/mahavir/Desktop/lahaina/git_checkout/lah_build/build-iss1/vmlinux...done.
(xt-gdb) run
Starting program:
/home/mahavir/Desktop/lahaina/git_checkout/lah_build/build-iss1/arch/xtensa/boot/Image.elf

Starting the ISS simulator.
warning: Connection timed out to ISS. Retrying...
warning: Connection timed out to ISS. Retrying...
License checkout failed: License server system does not support this
feature.
Feature:       XT_ISS_TURBO
License path:  1705 at nfs2
:/home/mahavir/Desktop/tensilicaLicenseServer.txt:/home/mahavir/Desktop/lahaina/xtensa/XtDevTools/install/tools/RD-2011.1-linux/XtensaTools/Tools/lic/license.dat:
FLEXnet Licensing error:-18,147
For further information, refer to the FLEXnet Licensing documentation,
available at "www.macrovision.com".
( TurboXim   ) *ERROR* Unable to get license
( exit       ) exit requested from context 'TurboXim' ( rc = -1 )
( main       ) *WARNING* fatal error(s) caught ( rc = -1 )
Cannot read port number back from ISS
(xt-gdb)