[Linux-Xtensa] Running linux in xtensa simulator (Follow the source Luke. xt-gdb is your friend :)

Piet Delaney piet.delaney at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 02:02:58 PST 2011

On 12/8/2011 9:59 PM, Mahavir Prasad wrote:
> Hi Piet,
>
> I think Rakesh has still not sorted out the steps to cut-out the Turbo
> license. I will try again without the TURBO so that I may replicate
> the behavior that you see. Last time I waited twice for around 10 min
> before giving up.

Hi Mahavir:

I'd get curious. For starters I'd do a <control-C> and see what it's
doing. If you use the
.xt-gdbinit script it will put breakpoints in some early startup points.
If you don't get to
the 1st breakpoint that plants the other breakpoints you make have to
single step
from the very 1st instruction and walk thru the MMU initialization. This
code does
some harry stuff but I went to extreme effort to make it possible to
single step
completely thru the code and the debugger clearly showing you the code your
executing.

If you aren't getting to the 1st breakpoint, "set_breakpoints", I'd put
a breakpoint
at the reset vector before doing the  "run" command. Look at your log
and compare
it to mine, if you use the same .xt-gbinit script the log should be
identical.

Relax, it's time to dive in and look closely at what's happening.
It's a journey and time to be curious. ;-)

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help in cutting the Turbo
License.
If your not getting to the two breakpoints at the begining of kernel
startup I'd
focus on that problem for now._Even without Turbo you should get to these
breakpoints easily within a minute; seconds as I recall.
_
-Piet