[Linux-Xtensa] Using /dev/ttyS1 for initial console

Mahavir Prasad er.mahavir at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 09:52:52 PST 2012

Hello All,

I need to use /dev/ttyS1 for initial console. For this, I pass
console=ttyS1,38400 as kernel parameter.

However, until I modify the following entry (marked in bold) in
/etc/inittab file, I don't get console on /dev/ttyS1

# Put a getty on the serial port
# ttyS0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 38400 vt100
*ttyS1::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 38400 vt100*

My personal preference would be that there should be one place where I
should be able to change between /dev/ttyS0 <-> /dev/ttyS1 and not in two
different places. With changes in two places there is bound to be confusion
at some point of time.

Could you please let me know whether this is a correct approach or there is
some other mechanism to get the console on /dev/ttyS1 ?

Thanks and Regards,
Mahavir