[Linux-Xtensa] Using /dev/ttyS1 for initial console

Max Filippov jcmvbkbc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 10:48:44 PST 2012

> I need to use /dev/ttyS1 for initial console. For this, I pass
> console=ttyS1,38400 as kernel parameter.
>
> However, until I modify the following entry (marked in bold) in /etc/inittab
> file, I don't get console on /dev/ttyS1
>
> # Put a getty on the serial port
> # ttyS0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 38400 vt100
> ttyS1::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 38400 vt100

The initial console is the device used by the kernel to output its messages.
It is specified in the kernel command line. The login console is the
device where
you run your login by means of getty/mgetty/whatever. These two devices
need not to be related. If you want to run login on your initial console, try

::respawn:/sbin/getty -L console 38400 vt100

--
Thanks.
-- Max